Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Time for.....cake?

And now for a little self-promotion. I enjoy making cakes for my kids' birthdays, and I'm a little proud of them. I am NO cake maker, or artist. These cakes are made by a mom with love, that's it.

It's fun, challenging, exciting, messy, and a chance to help my boys have a special birthday. Here are a few of my "masterpieces"


Dominic's second birthday - cow cake.
He wanted a cow birthday specifically. Not a farm cake, but a cow cake. His favorite animal for about a year was cows. We got balloons from ebay and plates and cups from a local store that happened to have farm things.


Logan's third birthday - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
The boys love watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on playhouse Disney. I made this cake for him and he loved it. It was a two layer round cake. We had balloons from a local store and plates from ebay.

Logan's fourth birthday - Frog cake
We were really into Princess and the Frog earlier this year. The movie, the songs were a huge part of our lives. Logan wanted a Princess and the Frog birthday, so we made that happen. We got plates and napkins from a local website and put up pictures of the characters around the house. We played "pin the crown on the frog" and had so much fun!

Dominic's third birthday - Thomas
My guess is that once in every little boy's life they will have a train or Thomas birthday party. This year was ours. We are train crazy over here. Everything is trains. I had my wonderful friend Jenni construct the face for me (she is a real cake maker, unlike my amature cakes. Check out her website here). I made the rest of the cake with this website help. Click Here It gives step by step instructions. Theirs is really great. It was my first molded cake and I'm a bit proud of it, even if it's not spectacular. We got a giant Thomas balloon from the local balloon store and plates from wherever. (they are everywhere)

Logan's second birthday - Pablo
Logan and Dom have always loved the Backyardigans. The combination of music, imagination, and dancing really get them going. And the fact that every show is SO different is awesome. This was my first custom cake and I was so happy with it. We got Pablo and Uniqua balloons from ebay (if you haven't noticed, I love ebay), and plates, cups, napkins from there too. We have the music from the shows and we played that in the background while the kids ran around.

My point in posting these cakes is that if you don't have any artisticness (and if you've seen me draw, you know that I'm not gifted) you can do this. You can look up any cake you want to make and find a picture of it on line. Just go to google. It's easy! Get a mold of a cake you want to make. Have a friend help you. You CAN do it! If you do it this way you can choose what ingredients you put into your cake and what goes into your icing. No store bought cakes here. ( I would like to say that I am not opposed to store bought cakes. Some of the cakes, or cupcake cakes they can make are crazy amazing. Especially since they have all of the airbrushing tools they need and pieces, etc.)

We let the boys choose the theme of their birthday and then we plan around that. They have to pick about a month and a half before their birthday so that we have time to get everything. Have fun with your kids' birthdays. They won't have very many where they let you plan the whole thing! Enjoy, remember to love the little things and see the wonder in everything!

xo
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. ...and I look forward to seeing all the other cakes to come for years down the road :) Also looking forward to all the ones I'm going to try and make too!
    You know.. of them all, I still freakin' love the cow cake... it's so cute!!! The frog was good too. LOVE Princess & the Frog!

    I think what the best part is, is probably their reaction when they see the cake you make for them! Totally makes it all worth it (next to actually digging into said yummy cake, of course! haha)

    ReplyDelete